Graduate Advising
Department of Linguistics

The university allows up to 2 courses taken elsewhere, with a grade of B or better and not used for any previous degree, to count towards the MA. In our program that means an equivalent of psycho-/computatational linguistics, or an elective course. To transfer the course credit from the original institution to UCLA, you must file a petition (see the Graduate Student Affairs Officer). 

If you were at another UC campus, then things work a bit differently: up to half your graduate courses can be transferred; that would mean up to 4 courses, though not Syntax I-II or Phonology I-II or Semantics I (200B, 201B, 200A, 201A, 200C), which must be taken here.

Very few if any students follow this procedure; in practice students have enough UCLA courses to fulfill the requirements.