Graduate Advising
Department of Linguistics

Our graduate program is a PhD program; getting a second MA from us is permitted but not required.  However, there is a requirement that you have written an MA thesis or an equivalent paper.  You are also required to take some of the MA level courses and have equivalents of others.

If you already have an MA Thesis

If you already have written an MA thesis at another university you have the option of submitting that to the department to satisfy our MA thesis requirement, in lieu of getting a second MA here. The thesis will be evaluated by a committee with expertise in the relevant area who will (a) accept the thesis as is, (b) require you to do minor or major revisions, or (c) not accept the thesis as satisfying our requirements. Alternatively, you can simply decide to produce a new MA thesis (related or unrelated to the first) and get a second MA degree. In recent years most students who come with an MA choose to write a new thesis, but there are some who go the first route. This is something you should discuss with the first year student advisor and the DGS by the end of your first year in the program.

Course Requirements

Even if you already have an MA and do not intend to get a second one here, you must take the 5 phonology, syntax, and semantics courses (five of 200A, 201A, 200B, 201B, 200C, and 201C) required for our MA (no exceptions, no matter what or how many courses you've already had elsewhere), and you must take, or have taken the equivalent of the other required course and the 3 elective courses. The department (usually the first year student adviser, sometimes in consultation with relevant faculty) decides what is "equivalent". If you decide to get a second MA here, you must take 9 MA courses here.