My main research interests are semantics and syntax. I have active projects on disjunction, evidentiality, tense, and modality. I am interested in the insights that cross-linguistic and acquisition data can provide on these topics.
I recently defended my dissertation prospectus on present interpretations of will. In this project, I look at the evidential requirements of epistemic modals. The dissertation is co-chaired by Jessica Rett and Yael Sharvit.
I completed a Masters thesis on disjunction in Egyptian Arabic, advised by Jessica Rett, Ed Keenan, and Yael Sharvit. This project involves conducting fieldwork with language consultants in Cairo, Alexandria, and Los Angeles. (Current draft)
I am currently working on a project with Jessica Rett and Nina Hyams that investigates the acquisition of evidentiality in English. This project includes a corpus study of child language as well as an adult experiment of copy-raising verbs. This work was presented at BUCLD 2012. We are now conducting a related child comprehension study. (pdf)
- Summer 2014: Primary Instructor for Intro to the Study of Language
- Spring 2014: TA for Semantics II (Jessica Rett)
- Spring 2014: TA for Intro to the Study of Language (Russ Schuh)
- Winter 2014: TA for Syntactic Typology and Universals(Martin Walkow)
- Fall 2013: TA for Intro to the Study of Language(Martin Walkow)
- Summer 2013: Primary Instructor for Intro to the Study of Language
- Winter 2013: TA for Syntax I (Martin Walkow)
- Fall 2012: TA for Semantics I (Jessica Rett)
- Spring 2012: TA for Intro to the Study of Language (Shabnam Shademan)
- Fall 2011: TA for Semantics I (Terry Parsons)
Click here to give me anonymous feedback on my teaching.
- November 7-8, 2014 UCLA will be hosting CUSP 7! Click here for more information!
- June 4, 2014 I will be presenting at LURC (Linguistics Undergraduate Research Conference) at UC Santa Cruz.
- January 25, 2014 I will be presenting on The inferences of will at UGGS (Unofficial Graduate student Get-together on Semantics and pragmatics) at UC Santa Cruz.
- October 25-26, 2013 I will be presenting on Disjunction in Egyptian Arabic at The Workshop on Semantic Variation at The University of Chicago.
- July 21-27, 2013 I will be presenting on The Effects of Syntax on the Acquisition of Evidentiality at International Congress of Linguists in Geneva, Switzerland.
- During Summer 2013 I will be a visiting scholar at the American University in Cairo conducting fieldwork.