Margit Lia Bowler
- 2017, with Sozen Ozkan. A perfect mess: Towards a typology of the "present perfect", presented at UCLA.
- 2017, with John Gluckman. Intensifying ideophones in three Luhya languages, presented at ACAL 48 and AAA 4.
- 2017, with John Gluckman, Maurice Sifuna, and Michael Diercks. Modality in Luhya: A typological study, presented as a poster at LSA 91. Here is a link to the associated poster.
- 2015. The status of degrees in Warlpiri, presented at AAA 2 and the Stanford Fieldwork Group. (slides)
- 2015, with John Gluckman. Transitivity alternations in Luragooli, presented at ACAL 46.
- 2014. Conjunction and disjunction in a language without 'and', presented at SALT 24 and AAA 1.
+ Teaching, misc.
- To appear, with John Gluckman. Intensifying ideophones in three Luhya languages. In proceedings of AAA 4.
- To appear, with Sozen Ozkan. Turkish -mIş does not contribute (English-type) present perfect. In proceedings of WAFL 13.
- To appear. Quantification in Warlpiri. In Handbook of Quantifiers in Natural Language Vol. 2, Denis Paperno &
Edward Keenan (eds.) Springer Verlag.
- 2016, with John Gluckman. The anticausative alternation in Luragooli, in proceedings of ACAL 46.
Here is a link to the appendix of Luragooli data associated with this paper.
- 2016, with John Gluckman. Expletive agreement, evidentiality, and modality in Logooli,
in proceedings of SALT 26.
- 2016. The status of degrees in Warlpiri, in proceedings of AAA 2.
- 2015. 'Might be something': Information protection in central Australia, in proceedings of CLS 51.
- 2014. Conjunction and disjunction in a language without 'and', in proceedings of SALT 24. (This
paper is based on my MA thesis; please contact me if you would like a copy of the full thesis.)
margitbowler at gmail dot com
UCLA Department of Linguistics
3125 Campbell Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095
I'm a sixth-year PhD student in the UCLA linguistics department. I specialize in semantic fieldwork; my dissertation is on evidentiality, tense, and aspect in Tatar. I have done most of my work so far on Warlpiri (Pama-Nyungan), Llogooli/Luragooli (Bantu), and Tatar (Turkic).
- I co-taught Linguistic Field Methods (LING 160) with Travis Major in summer 2016 and 2017.
- Here is a link to our 2017 class website on Mongolian.
- Here is a link to our 2016 class website on Tatar.
- I run the UCLA Semantics Tea, an informal semantics and pragmatics reading group. Here is a link to the Semantics Tea website.
- Sozen Ozkan and I developed fieldwork questionnaires that you can use to test whether your language has (English-type) present perfect.
- Here is our basic present perfect questionnaire.
- Here is our questionnaire for languages with perfect of evidentiality.