USC Dyslexia Project
Keating-Manis phoneme deletion test: read description and get soundfiles here.
Speech Perception Experiments
This page contains the scripts, sound files, and picture files for the experiments run with Psyscope. For the experiments run with Matlab, click here.
In order to run the following experiments, you need PsyScope, which runs only on Macintosh computers.
*** If you can't read the characters on this webpage clearly, go to view > character set (for Mac Explorer) or view > character coding (for Netscape) and select Unversal Alphabet (Unicode, UTF-8).
STEP 1. downloading and upzipping
1. Download a zip file.
Choice of 3 continua, each with 8 stimuli (see Joanisse et al. (2000) or Manis & Keating (in press) for more information):
Discrimination Task (AX discimination, 400 msec ISI, 2 reps of "same" trials for 4 items, 4 reps of 1-step trials and 4-step trials)
A. Spy Sky 45 (click here to download "spysky45_discrim.zip" (500 KB))
B. Spy Sky 95 (click here to download "spysky95_discrim.zip" (520 KB))
C. Dug Tug (click here to download "dugtug_discrim.zip" (216 KB))
Identification Task (5 reps of each item, pictures of response choices “spy” and “sky” appear on screen)
A. Spy Sky 45 (click here to download "spysky45_ident.zip" (152 KB))
B. Spy Sky 95 (click here to download "spysky95_ident.zip"(164 KB))
C. Dug Tug (click here to download "dugtug_ ident.zip"(228 KB))
2. Once you unzip the file, you will see a folder with the same name as the zip file.
There will be various files in the folder. In order to run the experiment you selected, you will need all of them.
STEP 2. practice trial
1. You will find a practice test PsyScope file in the folder. The file has the same name as the folder, with "_prac" added at the end.
(e.g., spysky45_discrim_prac) (discrim practice: 2 same and 4 different trials)
2. You can open the practice test by clicking this file twice or by opening from the PsyScope pull-down menu (File > Open).
3. Two windows (a PsyScope command box (Figure A) and a GUI PsyScope script (Figure B)) will appear. Click "Run" in the PsyScope command box.
4. The experiment will start, with an instruction at the beginning.
5. In order to run the main experiment (step3), you have to quit the practice run by clicking "quit" in the PsyScope command box. Or you can simply switch to the main experiment from the pull-down menu (File > Switch).
6. The result of the practice test will be stored in a PsyScope file named "experiment name_prac_data".
(e.g., spysky45_discrim_ prac_data)
STEP 3. main experiment
1. You will find a main experiment PsyScope file in the folder. The file has the same name as the folder, with "_exp" added at the end.
2. You can open the main experiment by clicking the file twice or by opening from the PsyScope pull-down menu (File > Open).
3. Again, two windows will appear. Click "run" in the PsyScope command box.
4. A console box will appear, asking the name of a subject. Type in the name, and click "ok".
subject name console box
5. Another console box will appear, asking the subject number. Type in a number, and click "ok".
subject number console box
6. The experiment will start right away, without any instruction.
7. The result of the main experiment will be stored in a FOLDER, named "experiment name_data".
8. When you finish running the experiment, you will see a result file (a text file) under the data folder. The file is automatically created with the subject's name and subject's number that you type in at the beginning of the experiment. Once you open the result file, you can see the subject's response to each stimulus, and the reaction time.
This webpage was created by Sahyang Kim for Pat Keating, July 2004