Current committee assignments
Description of committees
Archive: old committee assignments
- Admissions Initial Screening Committee: N. Hyams and A. Mahajan (Co-Chairs)
- Admissions: P. Keating (Chair), E. Stabler, K. Zuraw, Y. Sharvit
- Grad Student Funding Committee: N. Hyams (Chair), A. Mahajan, Sara Hosegera
- Colloquium: Dustin Bowers, Natasha Korotkova, Mel Bervoets, Vania Kapitonov. Faculty Advisor: R. Daland.
- First Year Advising : P. Keating
- Fellowships and Awards : D. Sportiche, C. Schutze (Chair)
- Language Exams : C. Melchert, H. Koopman (Chair)
- Scheduling : S-A. Jun
- Student Research Funding (Field Work and Experimental Subjects): M. Sundara (Chair), H. Koopman
- Teaching Evaluation: R. Schuh, K. Zuraw, B. Hayes (Chair, Adam Chong, Lauren Winans, Natasha Korotkova, Victoria Mateu
- Undergraduate Advising: R. Schuh (Chair), E. Stabler
- Visiting Students and Scholars Committee: Y. Sharvit (Chair), C. Schutze
- Website and Publications : Adam Chong, Yu Tanak, B. Hayes, T. Stowell (Chair)
- Humanities Residential College: J. Rett, T. Stowell (Co-chairs)
- Merit Review Committee (membership not posted)
- President of the Graduate Linguistics Circle/Faculty Meeting Representative: Dustin Bowers
- Vice-President of GLC: Adam Chong
- Secretary of GLC: Sadie Martin
- Desk Assignment: Jos Tellings
- Open House: Kaeli Ward, Laura Kalin, John Gluckman, Eun Hwa Lee, Lauren Winans
Description of Committees
Duties: Solicit requests for speakers. Contact potential speakers and arrange for their visits. Keep track of invited speaker budget. Circulate quarter lists of Colloquium speakers, updates on Colloquia during the quarter, and announcements for individual Colloquia. Maintain contact with invited speakers in order to solicit abstracts of talks for circulation at the appropriate time and apprise them of time, place, etc. for their talks. Make arrangements for social activities associated with the Colloquium, if appropriate, e.g. lunch or a social hour afterward. See Colloquium guidelines for student and faculty hosts.
(no description of duties on file)
The Desk Assignment Committee assigns desk space to students and visitors.
Duties: rank order applications for DYFs and Mentorships and related instruments
First Year Adviser
Duties: Help plan and conduct orientation session, and meet individually with all new graduate students, during Fall Quarter prior to registration. In consultation with relevant faculty, determine deficiencies which might prevent students from taking required courses, and whether courses taken elsewhere can satisfy any UCLA requirements. Advise students on choice of elective courses. Meet with students and sign study lists each quarter. Advise students on meeting requirements in practical phonetics, foreign language, and eligibility to TA. In cooperation with Colloquium Committee, arrange Ling. 411 (continuing orientation) sessions during Fall and Winter quarters.
Duties: Inform students of time and place of quarterly language reading examinations. Designate faculty members who will set the reading passages and correct the exams. Supervise the exams themselves. Verify satisfaction of the language requirement by means other than the departmental exams.
For further information on language examinations, go to the page Language Requirement for the Linguistics Graduate Program.
Duties: Evaluate records of candidates for personnel actions that require only Dean's review (these include most merit increase in rank and certain accelerations). Prepare research reports for Chair and make recommendations to full faculty on advancements, requesting full faculty discussion where necessary.
Prospective students/student recruitment
Duties: (faculty) organize and schedule meetings with relevant faculty (coordinated with the Student Affairs Officer); (students) logistics: housing, airport shuttle
Student Research Support
(travel, Human Subjects)
Duties: Prepare summary teaching evaluations and present them for personnel discussion at faculty and Merit Review Committee meetings. Maintain computerized course-and-instructor evaluation records. Nominate and document accomplishments of candidates for Distinguished Teaching and Distinguished TA Awards.
Temporary Faculty: organized on an ad hoc basis for each available position
Serves as search committee for temporary faculty.
Duties: All aspects of undergraduate advising, including the following: advise students on courses to take and clarify requirements; complete petitions for change of major, course substitutions, waivers of course requirements, etc.; complete degree check forms for students. Committee Chair does quarterly degree checks for the registrar, informs the registrar as to students who quality for Departmental Honors, and generally coordinates advising.
Visiting Students and Scholars
Duties: the Visiting Scholar Committee answers requests to be a visitor (info sheet from the Department Coordinator); circulate request with relevant faculty, answer). Note: there is a web page set up by the Committee to assist applicants.
Web Site and Publications
Maintain and improve the departmental Web site/research archives/working papers.