Call for Undergraduate Student Speaker
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT SPEAKER FOR LINGUISTICS COMMENCEMENT 2022
Dear 2022 Linguistics Graduating Seniors,
It is that time of year to celebrate you! The Department of Linguistics invites graduating Linguistics undergraduate students from the Class of 2022 to apply to be the student speaker at our department commencement ceremony on Sunday, June 12, at 5:30PM in Royce Hall. The student speaker will have the distinguished honor of presenting a parting and celebratory message to their fellow graduates, encouraging and inspiring them through this next journey in life.
Graduating students interested in delivering the commencement address must:
- Be a declared undergraduate major within the Linguistics department eligible for graduation
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing
- Commit to attend and participate fully in the commencement ceremony
Eligible and interested students should complete the Google Form application by Friday, May 13, at 11:59PM. The application requires brief information on your experience at UCLA and a draft of your proposed speech (no more than 3-5 minutes).
Applicants will present their speech to a selection committee comprised of staff and student representatives from the Linguistics department during Week 8 (May 16 – May 20). The selection committee will then select one student speaker by May 25th to represent the department at the commencement ceremony. The selected speaker will be expected to work with the UG SAO in the weeks leading up to commencement to refine their speech and delivery.
The following criteria will be considered when selecting a student speaker:
- Clarity of message
- Quality of speech content
- Length of presentation
- Representation of UCLA Linguistics mission and values
- Appeal to both the diverse and common experiences of students
- Speaker’s preparation, delivery, and stage presence
If you have any questions, please email the UG SAO, Leigh Bagood, at firstname.lastname@example.org