If You Have an M.A. from Elsewhere

Our graduate program is a Ph.D. program; getting a second M.A. from us is permitted but not required.  However, there is a requirement that you have written an M.A. thesis or an equivalent paper.  You are also required to take some of the M.A. level courses and have equivalents of others.

If you already have an M.A. Thesis

If you already have written an M.A. thesis at another university you have the option of submitting that to the department to satisfy our M.A. thesis requirement, in lieu of getting a second M.A. here. The thesis will be evaluated by a committee with expertise in the relevant area who will (a) accept the thesis as is, (b) require you to do minor or major revisions, or (c) not accept the thesis as satisfying our requirements. Alternatively, you can simply decide to produce a new M.A. thesis (related or unrelated to the first) and get a second M.A. degree. In recent years most students who come with an M.A. choose to write a new thesis, but there are some who go the first route. This is something you should discuss with the first year student advisor and the DGS by the end of your first year in the program.

Course Requirements

Even if you already have an M.A. and do not intend to get a second one here, you must take the 5 phonology, syntax, and semantics courses (200A, 200B, 200C; two of 201A, 201B, 201C) required for our M.A. (no exceptions, no matter what or how many courses you’ve already had elsewhere), and you must take, or have taken the equivalent of the other required course and the 3 elective courses. The department (usually the first year student adviser, sometimes in consultation with relevant faculty) decides what is “equivalent”. If you decide to get a second M.A. here, you must take 9 M.A. courses here.