Margit Lia Bowler
- To appear, with Ivan Kapitonov. Quantification in Australian languages. In Claire Bowern (ed.), Oxford Handbook of Australian Languages.
- 2018, with John Gluckman. Intensifying ideophones in three Luhya languages. In proceedings
of Triple A 4.
- 2018, with Sozen Ozkan. Turkish -mIş does not contribute (English-type) present perfect.
In proceedings of WAFL 13.
- 2017. Quantification in Warlpiri. In Denis Paperno & Edward Keenan (eds.), Handbook of Quantifiers in Natural Language Vol. 2.
- 2016, with John Gluckman. The anticausative alternation in Luragooli, in proceedings of ACAL
Here is a link to the appendix of Luragooli data associated with this paper.
- 2016, with John Gluckman. Expletive agreement, evidentiality, and modality in Logooli,
in proceedings of SALT 26.
- 2016. The status of degrees in Warlpiri, in proceedings of Triple A 2.
- 2015. 'Might be something': Information protection in central Australia, in proceedings of CLS 51.
- 2014. Conjunction and disjunction in a language without 'and', in proceedings of SALT 24.
(This paper is based on my MA thesis; please contact me if you would like a copy of the full thesis.)
- 2018. An aspectual proposal for evidentiality, presented at Triple A 5.
- 2018, with Ivan Kapitonov. Towards a typology of quantification in Australian languages,
presented at UCLA and ALW 2018.
- 2017, with Sozen Ozkan. A perfect mess: Towards a typology of the "present perfect", presented at UCLA.
- 2017, with John Gluckman. Intensifying ideophones in three Luhya languages, presented at ACAL
48 and Triple A 4.
- 2017, with John Gluckman, Maurice Sifuna, and Michael Diercks. Modality in Luhya: A typological study, presented as a poster
at LSA 91. Here is a link to the associated poster.
- 2015. The status of degrees in Warlpiri, presented at Triple A 2 and the Stanford Fieldwork Group. (slides)
- 2015, with John Gluckman. Transitivity alternations in Luragooli, presented at ACAL 46.
- 2014. Conjunction and disjunction in a language without 'and', presented at SALT 24 and Triple A 1.
- I co-taught undergraduate Linguistic Field Methods at UCLA with Travis Major in summer 2016 and 2017.
- Here is a link to our 2017 class website on Mongolian.
- Here is a link to our 2016 class website on Tatar.
- I run the UCLA Semantics Tea, an informal semantics and pragmatics reading group. Here is a link to the Semantics Tea website.
- Sozen Ozkan and I developed fieldwork questionnaires that you can use to test whether your language has (English-type) present perfect.
- Here is our basic present perfect questionnaire.
- Here is our questionnaire for languages with perfect of evidentiality.
Hi! I'm a PhD student in the UCLA Linguistics Department.
+ Teaching, misc.
I'm finishing up my dissertation at the University of Kansas before beginning a postdoctoral research position at the University of Manchester in January 2019.
I specialize in semantic fieldwork; my dissertation is on evidentiality, aspect, and tense in Tatar. I have done most of my work so far on Warlpiri (Pama-Nyungan), Llogooli/Luragooli (Bantu), and Tatar (Turkic).