Archive: old committee assignments
Committee Memberships 2016-2017
- Department Chair: B. Hayes (Fall), T. Stowell and A. Mahajan (WS, co-chairs)
- Colloquium: C. Schutze (faculty advisor), John Gluckman, Iara Matenuto, Margit Bowler, Beth Sturman
- Director of Graduate Studies (Vice Chair): Sun-Ah Jun (Fall), Nina Hyams (Winter, Spring)
- Director of Undergraduate Studies (Vice Chair): Jessica Rett
- Fellowships and Awards: R. Daland (FWS), Yael Sharvit (WS)
- Graduate Admissions: K. Zuraw (Chair), R. Daland, D. Sportiche, H. Torrence
- Graduate Admissions Triage: B. Hayes
- Grad Student Funding Committee: current chair, current DGS, Sara Hosegera
- Search Committee, ladder Semantics position: J. Rett (chair), J. Harris, D. Sportiche
- Search Committee, ladder Diversity search: M. Sundara (chair), Y. Sharvit, H. Torrence (tentative)
- Search Committee phonetic-phonology temp faculty: R. Daland, M. Sundara
- Search Committee syntax-semantics temp faculty: H. Koopman, C. Schutze
- Student Research Funding (Field Work and Experimental Subjects): Jun FW, Koopman FS, Sharvit WS
- Teaching Evaluation: H. Koopman (chair), J. Harris, K. Zuraw, students Daniela Culinovic, Brice Roberts, Meng Yang, Jesse Zymet
- Undergraduate Advising, Ling/CS: T. Hunter
- Visiting Students and Scholars Committee: H. Koopman
- Website: B. Hayes (Chair, FW), C. Schutze (FW), J. Rett (Chair, S); students Adam Chong, Adam Royer, Isabelle Lin, Connor Mayer
- President of the Graduate Linguistics Circle/Faculty Meeting Representative: Brice Roberts
- GLC Vice-President/Faculty Meeting Representative: Travis Major
- GLC Secretary: Jacob Adams
- Desk Assignment: Jacob Adams
- Faculty also serve on Research Committees for academic personnel cases; such memberships are not public.
Description of Committees
Solicit requests for speakers. Contact potential speakers and arrange for their visits. Find student and faculty hosts. Keep track of budget. Place colloquia on department Web page schedule and announce individual colloquia. Maintain contact with invited speakers in order to solicit abstracts of talks for circulation at the appropriate time and apprise them of time, place, etc. for their talks. Make arrangements for social activities associated with the Colloquium, if appropriate, e.g. lunch or a social hour afterward. See Colloquium guidelines for student and faculty hosts.
- At the start of Winter Quarter, find out from staff when the deadline for course scheduling is.
- At an appropriate time, request faculty to go into groups and work out teaching assignments in their areas, along with provision for their share in General Education teaching.
- Using the replies, work out an equitable and effective set of assignments, consulting with the Chair where needed.
- With the help of the SAO staff, work out a set of times for course offerings that minimizes time conflicts, taking into account teacher preferences.
- During the year, monitor and implement changes in the schedule, consulting the Chair for problematic cases and for temporary staff needed.
- Transfer schedule changes to the Department Coordinator for web-posting.
The Desk Assignment Committee, a student committee, assigns desk space to students and visitors.
Fellowships and awards
Duties: rank order applications for DYFs and Mentorships and related instruments. Pick a department TA to win a department-internal award.
First Year Adviser
This committee is assigned as of 2014-2015 ex officio to the Director of Graduate Studies.
Duties: Help plan and conduct orientation session, and meet individually with all new graduate students, during Fall Quarter prior to registration. In consultation with relevant faculty, determine deficiencies which might prevent students from taking required courses, and whether courses taken elsewhere can satisfy any UCLA requirements. Advise students on choice of elective courses. Meet with students and sign study lists each quarter. Advise students on meeting requirements in practical phonetics, foreign language, and eligibility to TA. In cooperation with Colloquium Committee and with staff help, arrange Ling. 411 (continuing orientation) sessions during Fall and Winter quarters.
Read applications files, select and rank applicants for admissions offers. Works in collaboration with Director of Graduate Studies. May include a subcommittee for Triage, filtering applications in advance.
Inform students of time and place of quarterly language reading examinations. Designate faculty members who will set the reading passages and correct the exams. Supervise the exams themselves. Verify satisfaction of the language requirement by means other than the departmental exams.
For further information on language examinations, go to the page Language Requirement for the Linguistics Graduate Program.
Serve as the department’s representative to the Legislative Assembly of the UCLA Academic Senate. Report to colleagues by email what happened at the meetings.
Evaluate records of candidates for personnel actions that require only Dean’s review (these include most merit increase in rank and certain accelerations). Prepare reports for Chair. Detect cases where acceleration is appropriate. Refer cases going beyond Dean’s review to chair for full faculty vote.
Generally the faculty who propose minicourses will constitute the committee, each primarily responsible for their own proposed minicourse. Invite the teacher, schedule the course (consulting with the Colloquium Committee to find a mutually compatible schedule). Consult with the Department Manager to arrange for staff to (1) find a classroom, (2) reimburse travel costs, (3) make sure the invitee is paid. Make sure the teacher is housed and entertained at times. Monitor the budget allocated to the visit and make sure it is not exceeded. Report progress from time to time to the Chair.
Be available on relatively short notice for consultation by Chair for judgment calls; meet with Chair from time to time as necessary.
Student Research Funding
Make decisions on the allocation of research funding (language consultants, research subjects, travel) to graduate students, ensuring that Human Subjects and other regulations are properly adhered to. Generally funding is distributed liberally, with checking with the Chair should funding run low.
At each faculty personnel review, examine the teaching record, including course evaluations and syllabuses, and prepare and present an evaluative/interpretive report (either to the full faculty or the Merit Review Committee, depending). Maintain computerized course-and-instructor evaluation records. Nominate and candidates for Distinguished Teaching Awards.
Serves as search committee for temporary faculty.
Undergraduate Vice Chair (Director of Undergraduate Studies)
Work together with the undergraduate Student Affairs Officer on issues such as course substitutions, evaluating transfer courses, advising on choice of EAP courses, and other matters concerning individual courses. Oversee curricular changes (under advisement from the faculty) such as adding or deleting courses, changing course requisites and course descriptions, re-uniting courses, and proposing new major tracks or changing requirements for major tracks. Review applications for Departmental Scholars Program and recommend candidates to the full faculty.
Undergraduate Advising — Linguistics and Computer Science Major
Advise and collaborate with the Undergraduate Student Affairs Officer on the design and management of the Linguistics and Computer Science major.
Nominate and prepare nomination letters and forms for various undergraduate awards.
Visiting Students and Scholars
Duties: the Visiting Scholar Committee answers requests to be a visitor (info sheet from the Department Coordinator); circulate request with relevant faculty, answer). Note: there is a web page set up by the Committee to assist applicants.
Web Site and Publications
Maintain and improve the departmental Web site/research archives/working papers.