Software and Resources
- LDC membership and corpus access.
- Phonetics Lab corpora and databases
- Other speech corpora are on the T: drive in the Phonetics Lab
- For purchase of other corpora, contact the chair of the department, who is ex officio the chair of the Bye Funds Committee
UCLA-PPP (“UCLA Parsing Practice Program”): A program for intro linguistics students to practice assigning tree structure to sentences.
BLICK: A phonotactic probability calculator.
Maxent Grammar tool: Weight constraints using maxent.
Phonotactic learning software: Prepared for Hayes and Wilson (2008).
Optimality Theory software (OTSoft): Rank constraints in Optimality Theory using a variety of algorithms.
Minimal generalization learner: Learn alternations; used in various papers by Albright and Hayes.
Pheatures Spreadsheet: Learn features, check your use of features to describe natural classes and feature changes. Successor program to FeaturePad.
PhonologyPad: Use a computer to implement and check solutions to classical paradigm-based phonology problems.
English Phonology Search: Search for words of English that match particular phonological descriptions, like ending in a voiced obstruent.
Various little utility programs useful for doing phonology (string reversal, searching for compounds, token to type conversion, etc.).
The strong research culture of the UCLA Linguistics Department is supported in many tangible ways by the department itself, by the Humanities Division, and by the university:
- Free statistics consulting on campus
- Free poster printer
- Experimental subject pool
- Weekly research group seminar meetings
- Access to undergraduate RAs
- Access to laboratory facilities
- Staff assistance with IRB applications
and specifically for grad students:
- Funding for subjects/consultants
- Ladefoged Scholarship (research support for grad students)
- Conference travel funds
- Experimental methods course offered every Spring (Ling. 239)