Software and Resources
UCLA-PPP (“UCLA Parsing Practice Program”): A program for intro linguistics students to practice assigning tree structure to sentences.
BLICK: A phonotactic probability calculator.
Maxent Grammar tool: Weight constraints using maxent.
Optimality Theory software (OTSoft): Rank constraints in Optimality Theory using a variety of algorithms.
PhonologyPad: Use a computer to implement and check solutions to classical paradigm-based phonology problems.
English Phonology Search: Search for words of English that match particular phonological descriptions, like ending in a voiced obstruent.
Various little utility programs useful for doing phonology (string reversal, searching for compounds, token to type conversion, etc.).
The strong research culture of the UCLA Linguistics Department is supported in many tangible ways by the department itself, by the Humanities Division, and by the university:
- Free statistics consulting on campus
- Free poster printer
- Experimental subject pool
- Phonetics Lab staff engineer
- Weekly research group seminar meetings
- Access to undergraduate RAs
- Access to laboratory facilities
- Staff assistance with IRB applications
and specifically for grad students:
- Funding for subjects/consultants
- Ladefoged Scholarship (research support for grad students)
- Conference travel funds
- Experimental methods course offered every Fall (Ling. 237)