The UCLA Linguistics Department’s normal business hours are M-F 8am-12pm, 1-5pm. Office schedule and availability may change based on UCLA protocol (www.covid-19.ucla.edu). Masks are optional but strongly recommended indoors. All UCLA affiliates and visitors must self-screen for symptoms before coming to campus.
Tim Stowell’s research interests are focused on the nature of syntactic structure and its relation to semantic interpretation. In particular, he has been concerned with the syntax of argument structure and predication, and its reflection in the structure of clauses and subclausal constituents. His recent work has focused on the syntax of tense and the logic of temporal interpretation, and on the syntax of quantifiers and other determiners and the principles governing scope assignment and reference.
21st Century Publications
- “Where the Past is in the Perfect” (2008) in Ángeles Carrasco Gutierrez (ed.), Tiempos compuestosy formas verbales complejas (Lingüistica Iberoamericana Vol. 34), Madrid, Vervuet, pp. 103-118.
- “The English Konjunktiv II” (2007) in J. Lecarme and J. Guéron (eds.), Time and Modality, Springer Science and Business Media, B.V., pp. 251-272.
- “Sequence of Perfect” (2007) in Louis de Saussure, Jacques Moeschler and Genoveva Puskas (eds.) Recent advances in the syntax and semantics of tense, mood and aspect (Trends in Linguistics Vol. 185) Berlin: Mouton De Gruyter, pp. 123-146.
- “The Syntactic Expression of Tense” (2007) Lingua 117, pgs. 437-463.
- “Appositive and Parenthetical Relative Clauses” (2005) in Hans Broekhuis, Norbert Corver, Jan Koster, Riny Huybregts and Ursula Kleinhenz (eds.), Organizing Grammar: Linguistic Studies in Honor of Henk van Riemsdijk, Berlin/New York, Mouton de Gruyter, pp. 608-617.
20th Century Publications
- “Distributivity and Negation” (1997) by Filippo Beghelli and Tim Stowell, in A. Szabolcsi, ed., Ways of Scope Taking, Kluwer Publications, Dordrecht, pp. 71-107.
- “Binominal Each” (1988) by Ken Safir and Tim Stowell, in J. Blevins and J. Carter (eds.), Proceedings of the 1987 Meeting of the North Eastern Linguistic Society, Amherst, Massachusetts: GLSA, pp. 426-450.
- “Null Antecedents and Proper Government” (1986) In S. Berman, J.-W. Choe and J. McDonough, eds., Proceedings of NELS 16, GLSA, Amherst Mass., pp. 476-493.
- “Licensing Conditions on Null Operators” (1985) in J. Goldberg, S. MacKaye, and M.Westcoat, eds., Proceedings of the West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics, Vol. 4, (WCCFL 4), pp. 314-326.
- “A Formal Theory of Configurational Phenomena” (1982) in J. Pustejovsky and P. Sells, eds., Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual Meeting of the North Eastern Linguistic Society, pp. 235-257.
- “Complementizers and the Empty Category Principle” (1981) in V.Burke and J. Pustejovsky, eds., Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual Meeting of the North Eastern Linguistic Society, Amherst, Mass.: GLSA; pp. 345-363.