Graduate Student Summer School Funding

The Linguistics Department is currently able to fund attendance at a summer school/summer institute for Ph.D. students, up to the amount $2000.


  1. This funding is independent of your annual conference travel allowance.
  2. You will be funded (up to the $2000 limit) for one summer school/institute for the entirety of your graduate student career. This includes costs for fees, travel fare, lodging & food.
  3. The eligibility period begins the summer preceding your 2nd year (your MA year) through the summer preceding your 5th year. (For budgeting purposes we must follow the fiscal, not academic year which begins in July.)
  4. This funding is available only to students in good standing (satisfactory time to degree progress). This means, among other things, that you will not be eligible for funding at the end of your second year (MA year) if you have not submitted your MA paper to the department.
  5. Funding is subject to the annual departmental budget (viz., we cannot fund 30 summer school applications in one year.)
  6. You will need a faculty advisor to approve and support the application.
  7. It is strongly recommended that you apply for funding that Graduate Programs makes available for the summer sessions prior to applying for Department funds and provide evidence that you applied.
  8. The deadline to apply to this program is the close of business on June 1 (or the last business day before June 1 when June 1 falls on a weekend). The Department will be unable to fund applications submitted after this deadline.
  9. Graduate Division policy requires that travel reimbursement be made during the same fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) the trip occurred.
  10. The Department will not approve retroactive travel funding requests.
  11. We strongly encourage you to purchase the lowest fares possible. Only economy class is reimbursable. This will allow us to fund more travel reimbursement requests.
  12. For summer, students must be enrolled in the preceding spring quarter.
  13. In general, queries about summer school funding and travel policies should be directed to the Director of Graduate Studies, with CC to the Graduate SAO. Procedural queries should be directed to the Graduate SAO.

The application form is given below. Please consult with your advisor before making any decisions.

Please note that reimbursement cannot be processed until after you return, per UCLA Travel Accounting policy.

Reimbursable Expenses 

The following items are considered allowable expenses for reimbursement:

  1. Conference Registration
  2. Airfare (Economy/Coach class only)
  3. Domestic Lodging*: University max $275/night
  4. Domestic Meals*: University max $79/day (no alcohol)
  5. Transportation

* Foreign Meals and Lodging per diem maximums are set per location/country and can be found here.

Reimbursement Procedure

In the application below, please provide a proposed budget for your trip. Keep in mind to stay within all travel limits listed above.

Once you have returned from travel, submit your receipts and documents to the Graduate SAO. Receipts MUST be submitted within two weeks of the conclusion of your trip.

Caution:  If you submit your receipts more than two weeks after the conclusion of your trip, it may be impossible for the Department to reimburse your travel.

If receipts do not clearly state the amount paid and method of payment (i.e. the last four digits of your credit card), then a credit card/bank statement listing the charge is also required. Such statements should be redacted of all personally identifiable information with the exception of the account holder’s name, statement date, and the charge(s) in question.

Submit the relevant documents below:

  1. Summer School program which includes your name and presentation details.
  2. Summer School registration fee receipt.
  3. Lodging receipts: The maximum that UCLA will reimburse for domestic lodging is $275/night. Must be itemized with amount and method of payment indicated. Lodging expenses that include personal expenses (i.e., room service and entertainment) will not be reimbursed.
  4. Meal receipts: The maximum that UCLA will reimburse for domestic meals is $79/day. Receipts must be itemized with amount and method of payment indicated. Alcohol is not reimbursable.
  5. Foreign Meals and Lodging: Foreign per diem maximums are set per location and can be found here. Receipts must follow the same requirements as domestic lodging and meals (see #3-4).
  6. Transportation receipts: Receipts must be itemized with amount and method of payment indicated.
  7. Arline tickets: Receipts must include your name, flight itinerary, airfare amount, method of payment/billing information, and class of travel (economy class only).
    • For paper airline tickets, submit the ORIGINAL airline passenger receipt (last page in your paper ticket stub).
    • For electronic airline tickets, submit either the email e-ticket receipt or the e-ticket receipt printed from the airline website.
    • UCLA charges a mandatory carbon mitigation fee on all airfare paid by or reimbursed by the University. The fees are $9 for domestic and $25 for international. This fee will be included as part of your grant (the Department cannot cover this fee in addition to the grant) and is reimbursed directly to the University.

Please note that UCLA will not reimburse travel packages (i.e., package deals of airfare and hotel, airfare and car, etc.). You must purchase these expenses separately to be reimbursed.

A note on California State Law AB 1887

Students are advised to consider that the law of the State of California prohibits the use of state funds for travel to any state that has passed a law that (1) authorizes discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression, or (2) voids or repeals existing state or local protections against such discrimination. As such, the list of prohibited states continually updates. If your application for conference travel funding involves one of these states, please note this since it may be necessary for Department staff to redistribute funds accordingly. For more information and the current list of states, consult the website regarding the Travel Notice: Assembly Bill 1887.

Summer School Funding Request Form

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • name of summer school attending
  • upload your faculty e-mail approval here
    Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: pdf, , Max. file size: 50 MB.
    • Please keep in mind all travel limits and policies when creating your budget.
      Drop files here or
      Accepted file types: pdf, , Max. file size: 50 MB.
      • here upload confirmation that you applied for funding at given school
        Drop files here or
        Accepted file types: pdf, Max. file size: 50 MB.