Graduate Student Summer School Funding
The Linguistics Department is currently able to fund attendance at a summer school/summer institute for Ph.D. students, up to the amount $1500.
Not so fine print
- This funding is independent of your annual conference travel allowance.
- You will be funded (up to the $1500 limit) for one summer school/institute for the entirety of your graduate student career. This includes costs for fees, travel fare, lodging & food.
- The eligibility period begins the summer preceding your 2nd year (your MA year) through the summer preceding your 5th year. (For budgeting purposes we must follow the fiscal, not academic year which begins in July.)
- This funding is available only to students in good standing (satisfactory time to degree progress). This means, among other things, that you will not be eligible for funding at the end of your second year (MA year) if you have not submitted your MA paper to the department.
- Funding is subject to the annual departmental budget (viz., we cannot fund 30 summer school applications in one year.)
- You will need a faculty advisor to approve and support the application.
- You must apply for any funding that Graduate Programs makes available for the summer sessions prior to applying for Department funds and provide evidence that you applied.
- The deadline to apply to this program is the close of business on June 1 (or the last business day before June 1 when June 1 falls on a weekend). The Department will be unable to fund applications submitted after this deadline.
The application form is given below. Please consult with your advisor before making any decisions.
Please note that reimbursement cannot be processed until after you return, per UCLA Travel Accounting policy.
Note also that we cannot guarantee reimbursement if you submit your receipts more than two weeks after you return from the summer school.