- This event has passed.
Mini Course IV: Prof. Sunwoo Jeong
Class 4 (11/9 Weds 12pm-2pm)
– (Wrap up Topic 2 if needed)
– Topic 3: Tune choice and social meanings
* Tunes and social meanings: Direct or indirect association?
* Case studies: rising contour (L* H-H% / H* H-H%) and politeness, level (H* H-L%) and falling (H* L-L%) contours and perlocutionary effects
– Core readings:
* Jeong (2021). Deriving politeness from an extended Lewisian model: The case of rising declaratives. Journal of Pragmatics.
* Jeong & Potts (2016). Intonational sentence-type conventions for perlocutionary effects. SALT.
– Supplementary readings:
* Eckert (2011). The future of variation studies. NWAV.
* Jeong (2017). Iconization of sociolinguistic variables: The case of archetypal female characters in classic Hollywood cinema.